If you are interested in undertaking a Voluntary Work Experience Placement at the Welsh Mountain Zoo please read the information below carefully. As you can imagine there is a huge demand for such placements and we do not have the capacity to meet every request for a placement.
Our Voluntary Work Experience criteria is as follows:
- We do not accept students under the age of sixteen.
- College/and or school students over the age of 16 must be enrolled on an animal care, education or horticulture (or similar) vocational course.
- Undergraduates must be enrolled on a course which is relevant to the scientific/ conservation/ education/ research role of the Welsh Mountain Zoo.
- All students must be self funded.
- The minimum and maximum periods of time for voluntary work experience placements are as follows:
Animal Department – min 2 consecutive weeks, max 12 months*
Education Department – min 1 week, max 12 months*
Gardening Department – min 1 week, max 12 months*
After 12 months, students will be invited to join our Formal Volunteer Scheme, should they wish to continue supporting the Zoo. Please note that this is subject to availability.
Please also note:
- We have a limited amount of spaces and are often over subscribed.
- Priority is given to those students (University and College) who MUST undertake a work placement as part of their course.
- Very occasionally we can in the winter months (November to February only) offer places to students in sixth form college/school who have an animal related career in mind. However, this must be for a minimum of two consecutive weeks and places are extremely limited.*
If you meet the criteria please send an email including your requested dates and current education programme to firstname.lastname@example.org (please use VOLUNTARY WORK EXPERIENCE and the Department in the subject)
ANIMAL DEPARTMENT: Please enquire about availability
EDUCATION DEPARTMENT: Please enquire about availability
GARDEN DEPARTMENT: Please enquire about availability
* Please note attendance on any of our voluntary schemes is not mandatory but for health and safety reasons we would expect you to let your Department Manager know if you are unable to attend on a date where attendance has been pre-arranged.